Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dating Big Dog

I met him online.  This is becoming more and more normal for grown-ups who can't stomach the bar/club scene.  Internet dating is main stream now.  I barely get an eyebrow anymore when people ask us how we met.  In fact, the usual follow-up question from the inquirer is "really? which website?"

It wasn't E Harmony, that's for damn sure. (more on that later.)

Our first date was at a trendy bowling alley in downtown Philadelphia.  I gave careful thought to my first date outfit.  What did I want my outfit to say?  Sexy, confident? of course, but I also wanted my clothes to say "there is no one quite like this girl."

My go-to designer jeans (I still can't beleive I ever paid $125 for a pair of jeans) were the perfect starting point.  Shoes were important but not imperative because the first thing you do in a bowling alley is trade them in for a pair of sweet patchwork leather lace-ups.  The top?  That was the key.  Couldn't be too sexy (hello. bowling alley) but it couldn't be boring either.

I chose a 3/4 sleeve zebra printed cotton top with a fit that was perfect for me.  I found it in the Urban Outfitters catalog and immediately ordered it with express shipping.  As for jewelery, my selection was perfect and has become the stuff of legend in our circle of friends.

I chose a necklace with delicate silver leaves strung together with a Y-shaped drop.  I was thinking "it's perfect, organic, fits the theme".

Big Dog complimented me (nice move) and then noticed the necklace.  He said "that's an interesting necklace."
I answered , with a smile, "it's leaves for the zebra to eat in case he gets hungry".

Big Dog looked at me, eyes wide and mouth slightly agape. He was thinking Did she really just say that? Food for the zebra to eat? Who is this girl?  There is no one like her.

Success!!

So now that Big Dog was interested in me (how could he resist?), it was time for him to make sure that I was interested in him.  Besides my kids, the quickest way to my heart is with my favorite sports team.

Like any other rabid fan, I craved access and inside information.  Big Dog covers my favorite team -- he is a sports writer, kind of like Ray Romano's character on "Everybody Loves Raymond".  He is a self-proclaimed "jaded SOB" when it comes to sports (it's just a job after all and players are just the hired talent) but he put this aside and started offering me an inside view.

A month after we started dating I went on my first away game with my favorite team.  I had a million questions, of course.
"Are they staying in our hotel?"  (no)
"Do you know where they are staying?" (no, don't care)
"Where do they hang out before/after the game?" (they are getting off a bus and then getting back on one to go home)
"Where is my seat?"
(beat)
Big Dog said, "um actually I couldn't get you a ticket.  You can try to buy one at the box office.  Good luck with that.  I have to go into the stadium now and get to work."
I thought WTF?  I have to go buy my ticket?  Where is my inside access?

The highlight of that "road game" was saying good-bye to Big Dog at the Media Entrance and running into the General Manager of the team along with the TV broadcast team.  The guys noticed us, smiled knowingly and said "hey there (Big Dog)". 
I thought OMG.  The broadcast team knows him.  Cool!  (I was easily impressed)

A few weeks later Big Dog started to tell little stories about people he works with finding out that he was seeing someone.  I learned that Big Dog had been single for quite a while and folks were interested to hear that he had met someone interesting.
Apparently even the players started hearing stories about Big Dog's new girlfriend.
One night I got an email from Big Dog telling this story:
"Your favorite player heard that I was dating something. He also knows that he is your favorite player. You know that he (scored twice) tonight, right? Well, he came into the locker room after the game and told me that I should tell you that he scored the second one just for you.  He was thinking that by telling you this it might help me "get lucky".  I laughed at him and told him "thanks" but that I didn't need his help to get lucky.  LOL!"

Ok, so my favorite player knows that I'm out there cheering for him and "getting lucky" with Big Dog.  Was this what I had in mind when I craved access to my favorite team?  lol.  not really.
You have to give Big Dog credit for trying though.....

The following weekend we were out for another road game.  Driving along the turnpike, Big Dog casually mentioned, "You know, I bet we will be arriving at the hotel around the same time that the team bus is leaving for the stadium."
I gasped.  "What?  We are staying at the same hotel as the team?  Why didn't you tell me this?  I would have brought a different bag!"
Big Dog rolled his eyes and said, "why in the world would any of the players on this team care what kind of overnight suitcase you are carrying?!"
I shrieked "You just don't understand!"  (in hindsight, neither do I actually)

As we pulled into the parking lot of the hotel a giant tour bus was parked 50 feet from the entrance to the main lobby. 
I took a deep breath in.
Big Dog laughed at me.  "You will be fine.  Breathe."

Then it happened.  Just as we were walking through the double doors of the lobby, my favorite player came walking out to get on the bus to the stadium.  He looked at us and said "hey (Big Dog)".
Big Dog said "hi" back.
I nearly fainted.

Up in the hotel room I was able to regain my composure. No big deal. The players are staying here.  They are in the lobby, standing around and getting ready to ride over to the stadium.  No big deal.  Let's go.

We were riding the elevator down to the lobby when the doors opened again for another rider.  Into the elevator walked the captain of my favorite sports team.  Are you kidding?  I just started breathing again!  The Captain and Big Dog said "hey".  I stayed cool.  Sort of.  And then, for no reason, I said (out loud. OMG) "Big Dog, we should go bowling again soon."
Big Dog stared at me dumb founded. The Captain kept his eyes forward.
Oh no, what did I just say? why did I say that?
Thankfully the elevator doors opened just then and deposited all of us into the lobby. 

Big Dog smiled at me and said "well, that went well."

No comments:

Post a Comment